Friday, August 10, 2012

Tilapia Tacos


Super easy & delicious summer dinner. I call them "Tilapia Tacos" because "Fish Tacos" sounds gross to me. It's pretty light & a lot of delicious. Even Jonathan loved these, & he's not a fan of fish in general. Unless it's shellfish. Anyway, here's the recipe: 

Tilapia Tacos







Ingredients:

Two Tilapia Filets
Tortillas of your choice
Shredded Pepperjack Cheese
Avocado
Cilantro
One lime, sliced
Santa Fe Tortilla Strips
Sour cream / Light sour cream

Seasoning:

Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cumin Powder
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt

Directions:


Spray tilapia filets with olive oil so the seasonings will stick better. Season the filets generously / to taste with the spices. (I do this & chop the cilantro & lime ahead of time so when I'm ready to eat, all I have to do is cook the fish.) Once it's seasoned, you can keep it covered in the fridge until you're ready to cook it. Spray a skillet with plenty of olive oil & let it heat to medium / medium high. You don't want it to get too hot as it will cook the fish too fast & it will be gross. So use your best judgement. Squeeze a wedge of lime on to each filet while cooking. I turn them when the edges start turning white. Then squeeze more lime on the other side. Once I think they're finished cooking, I'll flake them open with a spatula (just to be sure!) and break them in to taco sized pieces. 

For the tortillas, I wish I'd had the mini size, but I could only buy them in packages of 100, so I went with the medium sized. Usually to make the shells warm & sticky, I'll dampen a few paper towels & put a tortilla in between each one & microwave, but I didn't have any paper towels so I improvised & they turned out even better! (happy accident :D) I had some Chinet paper plates, so I put a little water in one & dipped the tortillas in there. Not a lot of water, just enough to cover the tortilla. I wet two plates & put the tortillas in between & popped in the microwave for 30 seconds. No more or they'll get hard. PERFECT! 

Once the tortillas are ready, spread desired amount of sour cream down the center. Add fish, cheese, cilantro, avocado & tortilla slices then top with another squeeze of lime juice. 

I'm telling you, these are better than any restaurant fish tacos you've ever had! And SO easy. I usually serve with cilantro parmesan corn on the cob, but didn't have time to toss that on the grill, so we just went with blue corn chips & salsa instead. 

This can serve up to 4 if you're using the medium tortillas, up to 6 with the minis.

Hope you enjoyed! Feel free to email me with any questions :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment