Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Steak with Zucchini and Squash




Aaah, fresh summer veggies! Today's meal is simple & delicious. Jett & I walked to the East Nashville Farmers Market today & got some super fresh zucchini & squash. When we got home, my box of Omaha Steaks I ordered with a Groupon had arrived, so I didn't even have to think about what to cook tonight! BOOM! I love not having to think sometimes. I usually make this zucchini squash recipe, and it's delicious, but I decided to toss them on the grill tonight since I was cooking steaks. Here's all you'll need:

Steaks with Zucchini & Squash

For the Veggies:
1 zucchini
1 squash
salt
pepper
thyme (fresh if you have it) or your favorite herb

For Steaks:
Whatever type steaks you prefer
Dales reduced sodium marinade

Pre-heat grill to medium / medium high

First, I poured enough Dale's in a baking dish to cover the bottom. Then I put the steaks in & turned them over once. I don't like them completely saturated. If you do, you should do this way before you're ready to cook. And I'm also aware that a good steak doesn't need any marinade. I respect that. But I also respect Dale's because it's delicious & I like the way it makes my steak taste. 



OK. So while the steaks are marinating, make an aluminum foil "holder" to put the zucchini & squash in, then chop the veggies however you prefer. Once they're all chopped, spray them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, then add fresh thyme, rosemary, or whatever herb you have on hand. I didn't have any fresh, so I just used the stuff in the jar. 



Once it's all seasoned, close the top of the aluminum foil bowl and set it on the grill. I let mine sit for about 10 minutes before I put the steaks on. 



For the steaks, I cooked for 3 minutes, then rotated them 90 degrees on the same side for another 2-3 minutes. I like the grill marks, so the extra step is important to me :) Then just flip and do the same on the other side. Once the steaks are done, put them on a plate, cover with foil & let them sit for 4-5 minutes. This makes the steak taste perfect & more juicy than if you just dug right in.



Sprinkle the veggies with a little parm, throw the steak on a plate, & you're ready to eat! Hope you enjoyed this super simple summer time meal :)

Grill marks :) 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks great. And so simple even I can do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete