Saturday, October 9, 2010

Is Script Dying?

I was at dinner at a friends' the other night, and a friend of hers and her daughters were there. One of her daughters was maybe 13 or so, and was on her laptop doing homework. So we all started talking about how weird it is that kids that age are using laptops for everything. Not that it's that weird since I use mine for everything too, just that kids in grade school use them just as much. She said they turn assignments in that way and everything. They don't write papers anymore, they type them. So we were talking about handwriting, since they don't really even write that much anymore, and I came to find out that schools aren't teaching script anymore. This girl had no idea how to write in cursive! I remember as a kid being so excited about learning to write like that and thinking I was all grown up once I learned how. It's just strange to think that script is a dying art. I understand that we don't really need it, but is the fact that it's not being taught anymore going to make it more of a beautiful art form? I think so. And although it's kind of sad, it's also pretty exciting. What do you think? Here's what I think.


Think about how much less we write today already than we did 10 years ago. A LOT less. When is the last time you got a hand written letter in the mail? It's been a while, huh? The only hand written anything I get anymore is from my grandmother. She sends a card for birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day, Anniversaries, and anything else you can think of. And she always writes the sweetest notes inside. I smile every time I read them because it's just so sweet and very personal. So sweet it makes you want to punch that stupid ecard you get a month after your birthday in the FACE! So that being said, go write somebody a pretty letter today. Spray some perfume on it. Draw something pretty on there. Fold the paper into an origami bird. And if you're lucky, you just might be the one getting it in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment